Harold Joynes Godwin<
List of Names Back to
Godwin Summary Back to
William's fifth child and only son Harold Joynes Godwin took over the Godwin business when his father died. A factory was built in the 1920s and the business established in the 1930s as a limited company, Godwin Pumpss. Council houses were built opposite the factory to cope with the influx of workers.
Harold was born in December 1885 in Quenington. He attended the village school and was at home until at least 1901, when he was working as a carpenter. In 1906 he married Alice Smith. She was born in about 1884 in Colesbourne, Gloucestershire, the daughter of a farm worker. By 1901 the Smiths had moved to Coln St Aldwyns, when Alice was in service with the family of a retired army officer in Painswick.
Harold was living in Quenington in 1911, probable next door to his father at The Hill, with his wife and the two daughters, Vera Ruth, born in 1907, and Eva Eliza, in 1908. He was working as a builder/contractor's foreman, presumably in his father's business. There were two further children, sons, William Joseph, born in 1912, and Reginald Francis, in 1915. Both his sons and both sons-in-law would work in the family business.
Harold would have been eligible to serve in World War 1 but no documentation has survived; his listing as a resident voter in Quenington in 1918 and 1919 shows that he was not a serving soldier in the last months of the war. He continued to live in the village during the inter-war years. At some point he moved to The Poplars, now called Godwin House, where he is recorded from at least the 1930s. This house is only a few steps from the Godwin factory.
Harold was a frequent traveller by sea. Perhaps some of the trips were for business purposes (the company had international connections), others as pleasure cruises. During the 1930s he sailed twice to Mediterranean ports. In August 1931 he sailed from London to Tangier, then back from Gibraltar to Plymouth, a round trip of 24 days. And in January 1939 a round trip from an unknown port to Marseilles and back from there to London 17 days later. On the first occasion he travelled with Walter Gardner, like him an engineer, on the second apparently alone. Perhaps these were business trips?
Also in the 1930s and again after the war he made three presumably leisure voyages with his wife Alice or another member of the family. In February 1937 he and his wife Alice arrived at Southampton on the Balmoral Castle from Port Elizabeth, South Africa; the outward trip has not been identified. In April/May 1939 he and Alice sailed to New York and back with his wife on the Queen Mary, staying 12 days in the city at the Sheldon Hotel. After the war, in December 1954/January 1955 he made a round trip to Buenos Aries with his daughter Eva Tugwell. In 1957/58 he voyaged to Madiera again, with son William and daughter Ruth.
Harold's wife died in 1946 at the age of 67 and lies in Quenington cemetery. He continued to live at The Poplars, with Edith R Dyke from probably 1947 as a nurse-companion. This was her description in the ship's manifest when she accompanied him in 1950 on a three-week cruise to Madeira. She remained at the Poplars until at least 1974.
Harold continued to live at The Poplars in Quenington after World War 2, indeed until his death. He is listed as an out-of-hours contact for the business in local telephone directories in the 1950s and 1960s. Only from 1970 is he listed separately from the business, with his own phone number at the Poplars.
Harold died in 1973 at the age of 88, his death registered in Bath. He was brought back for burial in Quenington, next to his wife.
The documentation shows the progress of Harold's occupations: carpenter (1901), builder/contractor's foreman (1911), builder (1912), contractor (1916-1927), engineer (1930s), company director (1950s). The company is described as waterworks contractors in the 1920s, engineers in the 1930s and 1950s, and windmill and pump manufacturers in 1958.
Pictured: The Poplars, Harold's lifetime home, in Springfield Road, Quenington, within a few paces of the family works, is now called Godwin House.
Nothing has been found of the Godwins in local parish records of baptisms, marriages, burials around this time. He may not have been of the Church of England persuasion, for when he registered at the village school the register shows in the column headed Exempt from Religious Instruction 'Yes, partially', for Harold. However, the Bible quotation written on the photograph of Harold's mother (see William Joynes file) must indicate that the family was of Christian persuasion. It may be worth noting that there was an Independent Chapel in the village and a Plymouth Brethren Meeting Room at The Hill, near where the Godwins were living.
BACK to |
top of page
BACK to |
top of page
7th February 2020