List of Tenants and Servants
BACK to |
Quenington Court is on the site of a mediaeval preceptory of the Knights Hospitaller of which the gatehouse still stands. It is of maily eighteenth and nineteenth century construction and includes a large barn, now Grade 2 listed. At one point it was a manor house, and was still known thus after a change of use. In the nineteenth century it became the farmhouse of Court Farm. At the end of the nineteenth century there was again a change of use when the Court became a residential building separate from the farm and leased to tenants.
A description of the building to be let is shown in a newspaper advertisement in 1902. It was described as unfurnished with three sitting rooms, ten bedrooms, bathroom and usual offices, with servants' hall. Stabling for six horses. Entrance through old Priory gateway. Grounds and orchard with good cottage and separate paddock, about six acres in all. Close to church and post.
Eight tenants or prospective tenants have been identified between 1900 and the 1960s. They were all outsiders, all very wealthy, and included an army officer, businessmen or their widows and children, and a retired stockbroker. In summmary they are as follows, with detailed accounts available through the links in the left margin here.
All the tenants were used to employing servants and there are examples of requests for staff in local newspapers. However, the qualifications for inclusion in the electoral registers, the main source of information here, mean that very few have been identified. Resident male servants would be included only from 1918, and female only from 1929, and then only if aged 21 or more. Sparse address details preclude the identification of most servants before 1946, and only six have been identified in the inter-war years. The exception is the six residential servants employed by Mr Day in 1911, through the census of that year. The 1921 census, when it becomes available, will again show servants, though still for Mr Day. The residents of the cottage at The Court are known in two cases as the groom/coachman of Mr Day and Mrs Hunter's chauffeur, married men.
Six servants, all female, have been identified in the inter-war years, all from 1929, all aged 21 or over. They were Dorothy Codling (1929), Ada Ann Stroud (1933-35), Mary Louise Rickards (1933-37), Ellen Lusty (1929-30), Elsie Goss (1931-32), Frances Chamberlain (1929), Nora Cocum (1934). It will be observed that each is recorded for on;y a very short time. Nothing more is known of them. After World War 2, when sources contained more information, there were six at the time of Mrs Tate's tenancy. Two of them (Rose Blanche Kerr and Louisa Lumbert) came with Mrs Tate and returned to Surrey with her). The four others may be local (Edith Taylor and Sara Walters, 1946 only), Minnie Rance and Elsie Sharpe , 1946-1947), but nothing more is known. Later, during the early occupation of the Pellys, was Catherine Alder in 1950.
There were also servants in the cottage on the Quenington Court grounds. Those known are Mr Pink, who was Mr Day's groom and coachman, and Mr Holt, Mrs Hunter's chauffeur, both married men. Later, Bertram Skinner and wife were in occupation from 1947-1950 but nothing is known of him.
The picture is of the Court in about 1909, during Mr Day's tenure.
22nd July 2021/i>