The Servants

BACK to
Summary and
List of Names

BACK to
Home Page

All the tenants were used to employing servants, sometimes in large numbers, and will no doubt have continued thus at Quenington Court. However, the qualifications for inclusion in the electoral registers, the main source of information here, and the detail given therein, mean that up to 1939 many, probably most of the resident servants are not listed or identified as such.

Only those aged 21 and over are listed, and of these there are no residential male servants before 1918, women before 1928, day servants living elsewhere in the village, some of those employed in the 1930s, and non-British citizens (it is believed that the Pellys did not employ local people but had a series of Norwegian au-pairs).

One chink of light is thrown up by the 1911 census which lists six residential servants of Mr Day at The Court. The 1921 census, when it is issued, will no doubt provide another list, but this will also be for Mr Day. The 1911 servants, perhaps interestingly all born in Oxfordshire and Berkshire except one local, were unmarried women aged between 19 and 39: Jennie Lampart cook, Louisa May Arnott and Evaline Anne Brown housemaids, Emily Maud Bossom nurse, Rose Darter parlour maid and local (born Northleach) girl Kathleen Goddard kitchenmaid.

Six servants, all female, have been identified in the inter-war years, all from 1929, all aged 21 or over and all for brief periods. They were Dorothy Codling (1929), Ada Ann Stroud (1933-35), Mary Louise Rickards (1933-37), Ellen Lusty (1929-30), Elsie Goss (1931-32), Frances Chamberlain (1929), Nora Cocum (1934). Nothing more is known of them.

After World War 2, when sources contained more information, there were six at the time of Mrs Tate's tenancy. Two of them (Rose Blanche Kerr and Louisa Lumbert) came with Mrs Tate and returned to Surrey with her). The four others may be local (Edith Taylor and Sara Walters, 1946 only), Minnie Rance and Elsie Sharpe , 1946-1947), but nothing more is known. Later, during the early occupation of the Pellys, was Catherine Alder in 1950.

Two servants, married men are known to have occupied the cottage at The Court. These were a Mr Pink, who was the groom/coachman of Mr Day, and Mr Hobbs, Mrs Hunter's chauffeur. In at least 1915 Mr Day was renting a second cottage, additional to that at Quenington Court, perhaps for another married servant, but there are no details of this, where it was located and who was the occupant.