Index of Names BACK to
Summary BACK to
Charles Gillett was tenant apparently at Manor Farm for over a decade in the 1880s and 1890s. He was born in Oxfordshire in about 1833, son of a farmer. He must be the man of his name whose marriage to Catherine Prestidge took place in the St Martin district of London in 1867. In 1871 he was back in Oxfordshire, himself a farmer in the Chipping Norton area. In 1879 he wrote a letter from Bibury, near Quenington, presumably to the Williamstrip Estate, stating that he had heard that the tenancy of Manor Farm was becoming vacant and asked to be considered. He was at the time a tenant of Lord Sherborne but had given his notice.
He has not yet been found in 1881, but there is a reference to his being in occupation of Manor Farm that year and then from 1885. He gave up farming at Michaelmas 1900 and his farm stock was sold at auction. Thereafter he retired to Finchley in London, where he lived with his wife until his death in 1913. He is described variously as retired farmer and as gentlemen during this period.
Wife Catherine must be the Catherine Prestidge who was born in Oxfordshire, daughter of a postmaster. She died in Finchley in 1913 just three weeks after her husband. There were a number of children of which at least the boys were educated privately. In 1881 two, Alexander (12) and Ernest (13) were at The Gables, a private boarding school in Eastbourne.
There is a potential problem in placing him at Manor Farm, in spite of all the references. His holding was shown as 582 acres in 1881, yet much of Manor Farm had been absorbed into the new Coneygres Farm in 1879. Also, in 1891 he was living very near the church, which was typical of farmers occupying Court Farm.